Tuesday, February 19, 2013

100th Day Word Cloud

The 100th day of school is approaching! This Friday classrooms will be celebrating the 100th day of school and reflecting on their 100 days at school. I wanted to share an easy way to integrate technology into your 100th day activities. I created a word cloud using the site Tagxedo. I chose to use Tagxedo because I wanted to use the "callout" shape. I thought this project would be a great digital display on any bulletin board that would show the learning that took place over the past 100 days! Not only did I show what I learned... I also used 100 words!

Here's what I did...
  • I typed (your students can write) 10 things we do in school everyday to make 10 categories
    • Reading
    • Math
    • Writing
    • Science
    • Social Studies
    • Word Work
    • Specials
    • Brain Breaks
    • Recess 
    • Lunch
  • Then I added 9 words to each category that reminded me of something I did over the past 100 days of school (words that I wanted together like Social_Studies I added an underscore)
    • Reading fiction nonfiction genres biography autobiography thinking blog read author
    • Math add subtract multiply divide sum digit shapes equal less
    • Writing illustrate create entertain beginning middle end characters plot problem
    • Science observe collect analyze experiment groups motion liquid gas solids
    • Social_Studies time4kids Presidents geography states continents globe Connecticut community friends
    • Word_Work phonics sounds letters pictures spelling workboard short long chart
    • Specials music gym library art computers typing drawing books run
    • Brain_Breaks fun dance move exercise videos stretch breathe movement YouTube
    • Recess friends playing running games talking jumping skipping teams slide
    • Lunch food delicious sandwich pizza snacks fruit vegetables hot_lunch milk
  • Then I copied and pasted the text (my 100 words) into Tagxedo to create a callout word cloud

Tagxedo is very easy to use. Just choose create and then get started! You can save the word clouds as images either in JPEG or PNG format. If you want a quick tutorial here is a YouTube video by eduTecher. If you need any help please let me know! 

Tagxedo not for you? Try...
*You do not have to sign up for any of these Web 2.0 tools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment